Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Welcome to the Official Blog for OPT Telescopes!

OPT at Night - Oceanside, CA
Contributed by Penny Distasio


There's a lot of stuff to read on the web these days, and lots of people, organizations, and companies compete for your time. Why should OPT Telescopes add ourselves to the mix? Because OPT is not your run-of-the-mill telescope retailer, that's for sure! I believe we can give you a fresh viewpoint on the multi-faceted hobby and science of astronomy.

Sure, we will certainly, from time to time, do a little advertising for the latest sale or event, but we also plan to post equipment reviews, comments on what's happening in the sky, short articles on observing, star parties, upcoming events around the world, and more, and we hope to do it with insight and humor.

Our blogging team consists of Tammy Plotner, Rayna Stephens, and moi...Penny Distasio, but we will also include guest articles by other members of the OPT team, especially when we need the last word on CCD equipment, imaging, and building that dream observatory!

Tammy is a popular author of several astronomy books and articles, and has done tons for the hobby in the form of outreach. You will enjoy her folksy writing style, but don't let that fool you! This lady knows her stuff, and she shares it in a way that you'll remember.


Rayna Stephens was born into astronomy! No, really. I rode a horse before I could walk, and I thought that was cool, but Rayna went to star parties. I can't say she stayed awake, but I think she soaked up understanding while out under the stars. Rayna is our youngest contributor, and I love that she has a voice here. Astronomy needs younger enthusiasts! Combine that appeal with a sharp wit, a free-for-all style, and 10 years of experience in the hobby, and I think you will agree that Rayna has something to say.


Finally, a little about me. I fell in love with being out under the stars with a telescope almost 25 years ago, the last time Halley's Comet graced the skies. I jumped in with two feet by becoming the "scribe" for OPT's astronomy club, OPTAS. I learned as I went, and before long I started selling telescopes at the store. That was a long time ago, and these days I help run our company website, but I still enjoy talking people through buying their first telescope when I get the chance. I have seen a lot of equipment come and go through the years, but the dream of having a telescope, and embarking on one's own relationship with the Universe...that never changes, and that is why I am still here.


Thanks for listening,


Penny @ OPT

No comments:

Post a Comment